Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hiking

We have done some lovely hikes in the Vallee d'Aspe. Ailbhe has surprised us with how much she has enjoyed hiking and also her stamina. Not having a car in Bordeaux means we walk everywhere and it has helped her fitness a lot. Fiacra can keep going, it seems, forever.

I have not enjoyed the drives to the trail heads, up winding, narrow, mountain roads. The views I'm sure, have been wonderful, but I haven't been looking. I had to turn back with Finian on one hike, the trail was so narrow, with a huge drop off, and Fiacra and Ailbhe were skipping along so nonchalantly, I just couldn't watch them. I was also leaning away from the drop-off so didn't feel safe walking with Finian.




 Fiacra is well prepared with a walky-talky and a headlamp

 Finian taking a breather

The Throne of the King

We have had a wonderful week, helped by amazing weather. We are all sorry to be leaving tomorrow. As we were driving to a hike today, Fiacra said "the Pyrenees are so much fun, I can't BEAR to leave". Fiacra and Ailbhe are already looking forward to coming back with their friends in July. I am already thinking ahead to a hiking trip to the Rockies.

No comments:

Post a Comment