Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lacanau-Ocean

It was forecast to be 26 degrees today so when we were trying to decide where to go for the day, the beach topped the list. We went to Lacanau Ocean, which is north of the Bassin d'Arcachon and on the open Atlantic. This is supposed to be one of the best surfing beaches around, and today I could see why.  It was windy and the waves were huge, there were lots of surfers out there.

We set up the beach tent to shelter Finian from the wind. The tide was coming in, we were keeping an eye on it as it could quite quickly gain a few meters up the beach. We thought it was getting a bit close so we moved the tent and all our stuff back away from the water. I was trying to get a photo of Ailbhe so wasn't watching the waves. The waves suddenly surrounded us, surprising us all. I grabbed my purse and the picnic basket out of the water, and saw all the sand toys, my sandals, and the kids crocs disappearing into the waves. I focused on my keen sandals (no way was I losing these) but it took a few minutes and a good soaking for me to get them. The surfers who were on the beach all rushed into the water to help us and I don't think we lost anything. When we got to the beach, I did wonder why everyone was sitting so far from the water, now I know.






This was my last attempt at a photo of Ailbhe, I guess I moved the camera when the water hit

1 comment:

  1. I love the last two photos! The one of Ailbhe and the surfer in the background is very cool.

    I can't believe that the waves came in so fast! Scary, but glad that you got your Keens and that Finian was safe!

    ReplyDelete