Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Crazies - Week One

The kids have finished a week in school and it seemed to go fine. Both have settled in and made friends. Fiacra was playing freeze-tag at playtime one day, just like he does in Canada. I asked Fiacra what he had learned this week, "I learned to work hard, that's what I learned" was his answer. I think his teacher is fairly strict.

There are some definite differences from what they are used to in school in Ontario. A difference for Fiacra is that he is learning to write script rather than print, which I think they do later in Ontario. Math seems to be at pretty much the same level, simple addition and subtraction, which is "easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy" according to Fiacra.

Ailbhe's class seems to do less here than the Ontario equivalent. So when Ailbhe gets home from school, she gets down to work, insisting I give her a spelling test.

Once we get a bit more settled, i.e. actually find somewhere to live, and have to pay less attention to staying sane in a hotel room, I will work on their English reading with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment