Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Wombles

Anyone remember the Wombles from their childhood? I sure do. When we were in Ireland over Christmas, we were picking out books to leave with my parents for bedtime stories for Fiacra and Ailbhe after Connell and I had left for France. I saw a whole set of Wombles books in the bookstore. Bloomsbury has re-released these fantastic books which were written in the early 1970's.


The Wombles live in a burrow under Wimbleton common. They pick up and recycle all the rubbish left by Human Beings. Wombles choose their names from Great Uncle Bulgaria's atlas as soon as they are old enough to leave Miss Adelaide's Womblegarten and start tidy-up duty.

We have just finished reading "The Wombles at Work". Fiacra and Ailbhe loved it.

We have a little friend in Canada who has Womble tendencies, right Addie.



3 comments:

  1. So cute! We will have to look for those books. I think Miss Addie would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were reading them, it reminded me of Addie and her garbage collection walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG my gran made these Wombles ages ago, and I found them and me and my bestie called them the Nosies XD

    ReplyDelete