Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Telephone Harassment

For the last week, Fiona has sent me a load of texts telling me to phone the rental agent to see how our attempt to rent the latest house was progressing. That's the first harassment.

Eventually, I would cave in and phone. My French is still weak and I find it particularly hard to communicate over the phone. This was the second harassment. I feel bad for the poor lady. Every day, my calls to gain information went like this:

Me: C'est Mr. McCluskey.

Receptionist: Le blah, le blah, le blah.

Me: D'accord. (Okay.)

I would then be transferred to the rental agent.

Me: C'est Mr. McCluskey.

Rental agent: Le blah, le blah, le blah.

Me: Je ne comprends pas. (I don't understand.)

Rental agent: Le blah, le blah, le blah.

Me: Je ne comprends pas.

Rental agent: Le blah, le blah, le blah et puis je vais vous rappeler. (... and then I will call you back.)

Me: Je ne comprends pas.

Rental agent: Le blah, le blah, le blah et puis je vais vous rappeler. (... and then I will call you back.)

Me: D'accord. (Okay.)

And then I would call Fiona to tell her what I learned - which would lead to more harassment.

After today's call, my understanding is that we will meet at the house to be rented tomorrow afternoon to sign a rental contract. I hope I'm right because I'm tired of calling her to say that I can't understand her.

Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment